MCC’s Local Outreach team...
seeks to respond to God's love by loving our neighbors in word and action. Our hope is to see God's kingdom come here in Modesto as it is in heaven, and we believe that humble service is a great way to connect with God, with each other, and with our neighbor. Below are some of the many opportunities for individuals and groups to serve and address specific needs in our community. For more general information, contact Carole Phillips at (209) 531-3036.
PRAY FOR MODESTO!
Thank you for joining with us as we pray for our city. Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. 1 Timothy 2:1-2
Sylvan Park Block Parties
Throughout the year we like to take the party over to Sylvan Park to connect with our neighbors. Bounce houses, face painting, and a huge spread of hot dogs or fried chicken make the day fun for the whole family! Our next block party is planned to coincide with Love Modesto in the spring of 2017.
Homeless Shelter Meals
The Salvation Army Berberian Homeless and Transitional Shelter serves around 140 people a night in the winter months, providing shelter and a nourishing meal to those being served. Each of our Sunday Connections provide a meal during the winter season. Contact Tony Agrella at (209) 505-3681.
Salvation Army Breakfast and Clothing Needed (Ongoing)
Join the team that is serving breakfast on the third Saturday of each month, from 6am-10:30am or any part of that time. Clothing is also always in need, especially in men's sizes. Contact Randy Credille at (209) 410-8774, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
MCC is proud to partner with Cheryl Van Horn at the Vine House, an outreach center in West Modesto committed to building lasting relationships, one life at a time, to help them overcome life bondages and pain. Want to share a cup of coffee or help a kid with homework at the Vine House? Contact Cheryl at (209) 577-1863.
Modesto Gospel Mission
The Gospel Mission aims to provide refuge, recovery, and restoration to Modesto's marginalized. You can help by joining the team at a chapel service on the first Thursday evening of the month. Check out their website at www.modestogospelmission.org, or contact Melinda Riley at email@example.com. You can also help children ages 5-17 with homework, tutoring, art classes and snacks. Monday - Thursday, 2:00 - 4:30 PM. For more information or to volunteer, call (209) 529-8259.
Modesto Pregnancy Center
The Modesto Pregnancy Center exists to offer hope and support, helping people to make informed choices about their unplanned pregnancy. For more information, please visit their website at www.modestopregnancycenter.com, or contact Erin Koolhaus at (209) 526-1734.
ADVANCING VIBRANT COMMUNITIES
Advancing Vibrant Communities helps people put their passions and resources towards helping others in need. Check out the AVC website at www.vibrantcommunites.org for a variety of service opportunities and ways to give!
FAMILY PROMISE :: NEXT HOSTING WEEK IS May 14-21 2017!
MCC houses homeless families four times a year through Family Promise, a network of Modesto area churches. The goal is to help them regain their housing and independence while allowing them to stay together. We have a great Family Promise team that extends the love of Jesus to families in difficult situations…but there is room for you to be the hands of Christ to these families. Below is a description of each of the roles on the Family Promise team. The serving is not complicated and orientation will be provided to those who have not served before. Watch for sign-ups outside the foyer or through the all church email. Learn more about Family Promise at www.modestofamilypromise.com
EVENING HOST :: 5:30 PM-8:30 PM
- Arrive at church at 5:15 PM. Greet the guests as they arrive.
- Oversee the serving and clean up of dinner brought by MCC people and eat with the guests.
- Supervise through the evening. Interact with the guests to the degree the guests wish to do so. Converse, play a board game, help with homework...
- The overnight hosts will relieve you at 8:30 PM.
OVERNIGHT HOST :: 8:30 PM- 7:00 AM
- Oversee tidy-up board games or other activities in the lounge area.
- Transition the guests to their rooms around 9:00 PM.
- Lock building and set the alarm.
- Spend the night in the private host sleeping room.
- Awaken the guests at 6:00 AM.
- If you desire, join the guests for breakfast prepared by the breakfast team.
- Guests are gone by 7:00 AM and you are free to go.
- Prepare all or part of a dinner meal at home (salad/main course/dessert).
- Deliver to 107 D by 5:30 PM.
- Meet upstairs in Building D at 11:00 AM on our first hosting Sunday.
- Move chairs/tables/furniture out of our Sunday School rooms.
- Move in the Family Promise rollaway beds and set up the rooms for the guests.
- Arrive at church at 7:15 AM on the final hosting Sunday.
- Move beds out and reset the rooms for Sunday School by 9:30 AM.